Monday, June 07, 2010

Jefferson’s words inspire NZ journalists

No New Zealand city has had two daily newspapers since 2002, when Wellington’s morning Dominion merged with the Evening Post to form The Dominion Post. With a circulation of just under 90,000, the Dom Post (as it’s commonly known) is the country’s second-largest daily.

The paper’s modern building has a comfortable café just off the lobby called The Front Page. On the wall, I was surprised to see this quotation from Thomas Jefferson: "Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter."

When I became editor of the Argonaut (the University of Idaho’s student newspaper), I placed this quote on the masthead – a jab at the student government. A few years later, I discovered that Jefferson’s enthusiasm for newspapers waned, particularly after he became president in 1800 and was the target of some nasty barbs from Federalist writers. He wrote to a friend: “The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.” And in retirement, he remarked, “ I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it.”

Even so, Mr. Jefferson’s first quote seems especially fitting for the paper published in New Zealand’s capital, just a short walk from Prime Minister John Key’s office and the Parliament building. It’s a long way from Monticello to Boulcott Street in Wellington, but I suspect that Mr. Jefferson would be pleased to see his comment receive such prominence.