Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Postscript: New Zealand’s lively media scene


It’s been six months since my last post, and it’s just two weeks shy of the one-year anniversary of my long flight from Los Angeles to Auckland. It's time, therefore, for a belated recap of what I discovered in New Zealand.

First, my initial assessment of NZ newspapers – bright, lively and fun to read -- held up well. This was as true for the community weeklies as the metropolitan papers in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington and Christchurch. New Zealand’s newspapers have done a better job than their American counterparts in retaining both advertisers and readers. I’m indebted to journalist and author Ian Grant of Masterton for his insights into NZ papers’ relative health. He wrote recently:
No newspaper closures here or significant layoffs. The economy remains pretty constrained, but advertising, while not bouncing back, is no worse. In fact, the two newspaper companies – Fairfax and APN – are looking in much better shape across Australasia than a year ago.
I look forward to Ian’s book about the history of New Zealand newspapers from 1840 to 2010, scheduled for publication sometime in 2012.

My primary source of international news during my time in Hamilton was Radio New Zealand, a world-class network that pound for pound, exceeds National Public Radio in scope and depth of news coverage. I would sing Radio New Zealand’s praises even if I hadn’t been interviewed for Jim Mora’s thoughtful Afternoons show or Colin Peacock’s incisive Mediawatch program. I still listen to the Radio NZ Morning Report when I want to hear a New Zealand news reader’s accent.

Television was a bit of a disappointment. I had expected more arts and cultural programs from TV New Zealand, perhaps something similar to PBS or the BBC on a smaller scale. With a few exceptions, the evenings on the four over-the-air channels are filled with U.S. crime dramas, a few British soap operas (“Coronation Street”) and a handful of home-grown programs (including a quaint weekly agricultural show, “Country Calendar.”) I do miss TV1’s witty weathercaster, Jim Hickey, and his entertaining descriptions of fine and foul weather.

The magazine mix includes The Economist and international editions of Time and Newsweek. I became a fan of the monthly North & South, and not just because of the community profiles by Steve Braunias (see my post for June 28). Sadly, N&S doesn’t put any of its content online, so I’ll have to wait for someone to mail me a printed copy. I also enjoyed The Listener, which started as a program guide for Radio New Zealand and now resembles The New Yorker, full of book and movie reviews, as well as arts listings.

Finally, I found advertising – both print and broadcast –creative, clever and droll. For a sample, take a look at the campaign for 2Degrees, a cellphone provider. The company’s initial ads featured actor Rhys Darby from the quirky HBO comedy “Flight of the Conchords.” One of the early commercials illustrated the company’s premise is that no one in New Zealand is separated by more than two degrees from anyone else. That proved to be a motto for our travels from Cape Reinga at the northern tip of the North Island to Slope Point at the southern tip of the South Island. Without exception, our Kiwi hosts were eager to help us discover the country’s spectacular scenery, rich history and flavorful cuisine.

The photograph was taken outside a shop at the Auckland Airport after our return from the South Island in April. “News Travels” sums up my stimulating and rewarding New Zealand experience.